Pitlochry Dam and Power Station took four years to build and started generating in 1950. It’s one of nine stations in the Tummel Valley scheme. This part of Perthshire became one of the first regions in Scotland to be developed for hydro-electricity. The Grampian Electricity Supply Company built the first power stations in the area in the 1930s. The North of Scotland Hydro Electric-Board incorporated these early efforts into the Tummel Valley hydro scheme. Every year, this station’s two turbines still meet the energy needs of some 15,000 homes.