The Tummel-Garry Scheme
January 1, 1945
The Tummel-Garry scheme, of which Pitlochry was to be a part, was incredibly unpopular when it was first planned. The scheme was finally approved by parliament, having gone through a public inquiry in 1945 and the resignation of the Hydro Board’s first chairman, Lord Airlie.
April 26, 1947
The Countess of Airlie lays the first block of the dam. A plaque marking the event is still present.
December 12, 1948
Flooding occurred throughout construction of the dam, and the winter flooding of 1948 was especially destructive.
Strike at Port-na-Criag
July 29, 1949
Workers strike at Port-na-Criag camp due to poor quality food. This occurred on other camps throughout the Highlands.
The Dam is Complete
January 10, 1951
The dam and power station were completed in 1951, and the scheme was due to be opened in June of that year.
Open for Business
January 10, 1952
Tragically, the head engineer of the Hydro Board, Sir Edward MacColl, died just before the planned opening in 1951 and a much more subdued ceremony was held in 1952 where a plaque in his honour was unveiled at the power station.